Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Catching up with my Fosteroni's!!!

 "I'm soooo, sooo happy to report that I do hear fairly regularly from the new owners of the 3 dogs I've fostered so far!  it's super kind of them and really a treat for me and the rest of us who knew and loved the dogs before they were adopted (seriously everyone involved is so grateful that you take the time to let us know how well our pups are doing, it makes letting them go and taking in a new one a positive feedback loop instead of a series of bummers and murkiness)!

The afternoon Minnie was adopted I was super sad and missing her but right after she left (literally RIGHT AFTER) I got a crazily well timed text with pics from Jean on Spinx (now Charley) that made my day.  (as well as up to the minute reports from Minnie/Savannah's new dad as to how she was making out!)

"He's amazing!!! I sent you an email--we are calling him Charley now. One Spinx in the house is enough!  He's so great--we adore him."


with his big sister Kowie!


general cuteness


is that Wan the cranky dog hating cat?? is it a truce?  ;)


Yup, any plastic will do (I remember him stealing "toys" from the recyclables)

Hey April--just some news about Spinx--we gave him a new name: Charley. We think it's very fitting, and one Spinx in the household is enough!! He's so great...we're totally in love with him, and he just gets better and better! I'm sending you some photos from my phone; we love taking him to Prospect Park because he just plays with everybody!! 


Hope you're enjoying your new foster pet...!

Jean & Joel 

awesome, glad Charley's being a good boy! and it looks like the cats like him a little better now??  I'm dogless at the moment, another was adopted on saturday, we'll see who's next!  send as many updates as you like, they always make me smile!!!!  I got your texts a few minutes after my last pup was adopted saturday and it totally cheered me up:)

-April

yay!! yes, Charley's the best--he's getting better and better every day--calm when necessary, playful, sweet, so funny and hapless and lovey. He's such a big fun goofball!! And the cats are fine with him--they're learning how to fend off his unwanted advances--and Kowie is learning how to assert her dominance and remain on top. She's funny with him--she won't play, as hard as he tries to get her to do it, but she puts him in his place regularly. They're getting along just fine, and it's so interesting to see a different side of her. Now she's the grown-up calm and mature one!

Jean & Joel 


And how about miss Edwina/Dingo/Bronx my original dog crush up in Maine??  Her owners Meagan and Ben both "Facebook friended" me so I get to check out all sorts of great doggie pics which they frequently post, and Meagan even months later has been sending along updates and adorable anecdotes (thanks lady!).




 Nope not a bad life huh?

I was doing errands downtown with Rush and Bronx today. We stopped for tea and the coffee shop had a painting of Roosevelt hanging high on the wall and Bronx started staring at it. Everyone noticed how interested she was in it and then she started barking and growling! We couldn't stop laughing, about her argument with a fellow New Yorker.



Hey,
Just wanted to update you, Bronx is getting fixed tomorrow! The Vet said dogs can be out of heat but still show internal signs so waiting 1-2 months after going out of heat is safest for the dog. 
She has been getting along with everyone perfectly. She loves running on the beach is great at meeting new people/dogs. We brought her to my Grandmother's 82nd birthday and she was a big hit with all of my extended family. Bronx has mastered 'sit', 'come', 'down', 'back up' and sometimes 'leave it' and we are still working on more tricks! She has gotten some dry winter skin, (maybe from rolling in the snow/sand so much? so funny how she loves to roll around!) so we have been putting salmon oil on her dry food. This is slowly starting to help her skin and making her fur is softer than ever!! Did you feed her anything special like a treat that maybe helped her skin? Our only complaint is she loves to chase our neighbors cat, which is to be expected between dogs and strange mean cats who are in places they don't belong! 
Hope all is well!
Meagan


Best friends:)  so sweet.


I'm really hoping update posts like this will encourage folks who are considering fostering to give it a shot and to know that when a dog leaves your house they are not necessarily vanishing into thin air!  It means so much to know that you chose the right home and that these pups are LOVED, cared for, and enjoying their second chance, and all the cute stories and observations are a bonus:)

-April

if you or anyone you know is interested in fostering a dog or cat (or other critters) please email me and I'll point you in the right direction, you can never have too many good foster parents!
aprilkelly4377@gmail.com





No comments:

Post a Comment