Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Heeey... whatever happened to little Minnie?

I KNOW!  it's been a few weeks, there was an adoption but didn't want to jinx it, I wasn't sure it would take...

We had a few inquiries about this pretty little lady but when Alan (her new owner!!) and little Appleton his Maltese came to meet her it was a bad scene!  Minnie was lunging at Appleton and Alan outside and I thought for sure they would turn around and hop back in that cab (he admitted that he most definitely thought about it)...  3 hours he stayed in my apartment, 3 HOURS, just couldn't decide, he could tell she was secretly sweet buuuut then she'd growl at Appleton or himself, there was not much hope in my heart...  As soon as he'd lean one way she would do something to make him doubt her, and I couldn't blame him, who would want to put their other dog in that situation??  In the end Appleton showed she could stick up for herself and although he had serious reservations he agreed to take her on a trial basis which everyone thought was for the best, maybe she'd behave more nicely on another dogs turf??  



ha ha can you say nervous...? 

(I think after this photo was taken she growled at Appleton on the floor and then he changed his mind, AND THEN HE CHANGED HIS MIND BACK AGAIN )
...and she went home on a leap of faith;)


future besties?? 
Poor Appleton, a gentle retiring middle aged lady to be roomates 
with Minnie (now Savannah!!) the tazmanian devil!

Soooooooo, how's it going over there??  I'll let you hear it from the horses mouth, or Alan's anyway;)  not perfect as you'll soon read but when the owner is committed there is hope!  I think our nervously naughty but totally lovable little Savannah has ended up in the right place.

Hi April,
Thanks for getting back to me! Savannah appears to be doing just fine so far? She slept last night on the bed with Apple and myself after sleeping Saturday night in the bathroom under a bunch of blankets. I have been trying to find a baby gate as all the stores on the UES are sold out which is not surprising considering I live in baby central here. I hope to have one by this afternoon.
She seems to leave  Appleton alone even the times when I had to run out to do some errands. She can jump onto my bed as Apple can not and she loves to sleep on the pillows which is fine. I am planning to make an appointment for later this week to get her and Apple to my Vet just to be on the safe side. She definitely loves her carrots as I have been giving them to her as a snack. She knows how to go to the bathroom outside but definitely still needs more training in that department. She is very aggressive when out on walks which I am trying to get a grip on. You were right, she likes to go after people's ankles! lol. Okay, I will report back in a day or two, I think we will be okay with her? Speak soon...

and a few weeks later...




Hi April,
Nice to hear from you! Savannah is doing absolutely wonderful and is loving her new home, Daddy and big sister Appleton with one exception.
She most definitely has some issues when she is walked outside but I believe they can be overcome with some diligent and proactive training, which if I can't cure then I will have to call in a certified trainer? She has a tremendous amount of anxiety and aggressive behavior when she see's other dogs that I must get a grip on for her. She lunges at everything in site from people to pigeons to even moving motor vehicles believe it or not and she lets out this overwhelming and incredible high pitched cry that is absolutely deafening at times. Inside the apartment she is as good as gold. Bottom line is I love her to death and am determined and will work hard to get these issues rectified soon before I need to be fitted for hearing aids?

Yup, sounds like small dog syndrome alright, but kudos to Alan (and sweet little Appleton) for taking a chance on her and looking into the matter instead of giving up on her like her first owner did, she's a lucky girl!  Maybe some of these podcasts will help, this is a great sire to poke around! (Have I mentioned I luuuuv Ian Dunbar!)

http://www.dogstardaily.com/radio/110-dog-fears-and-quarrels

http://www.dogstardaily.com/radio/106-socialization-dogs-and-their-owners

http://www.dogstardaily.com/radio/111-choosing-and-adopting-adult-dog


(I've still got a home visit coming up so I'll let you know the latest and greatest! and I confess I can't wait to see my little peanut again!)




No comments:

Post a Comment