Sunday, October 23, 2011

Odd man out :/

This morning for a special treat I thought I would bring my guys to the woods in NJ where lots of dog loving families go for a little hiking and off leash action, my hope was that he would get tons of attention from people with his "adopt me" jacket and perhaps land a new home close to the woods with some kiddos and an active outdoorsy fam!  I wasn't sure about letting him off leash so I rigged 3 leashes equalling about 15 feet and headed out with my friend Erin for company and doggy back up, he loooooved it but when I would drop the leash here and there but I didn't feel confident that he wouldn't go bounding off into the wilderness after a chipmunk so he ended up staying leashed while everybody else got to run around and explore freely... When we reached the dog beach there were so many dogs approaching him who were off leash that I think he felt a little nervous and outnumbered and started really barking at a few of them, everyone who had thought he was adorable quickly changed their minds since he was sounding like such a menace (understandably) although he still wasn't trying to bite!  It wasn't getting any better so we took them on a trail with less dogs which he enjoyed but I felt so bad when he spotted squirrels and other critters and wasn't allowed to chase em, I also felt a little bad for myself because when he spots them he develops Hulk strength and my little outing wasn't all that relaxing as I was dragged up and down the mountain;) hopefully one day when he is super bonded with an owner he can run around in the woods and be trusted to come back, I know he'd love it!  To make it up to him we went home and spent the afternoon in the dog run so he could run around and play too and as with previous visits he does play nicely with most of the dogs and occasionally shouts at a few that he doesn't care for.  He tends to be a little shouty on leash, Pasha is too so that doesn't help, some dogs they pass and ignore and some they'll bark at for no reason, but if they are allowed to go nose to nose it is usually friendly, this is a habit I have been trying to break with my dog for months without success so if anybody has any tips I'm all ears!

Here's a little treat dispensing video, he's super calm where food is concerned, he's a slow eater, will leave food in his bowl, doesn't seem too worried about eating when other dogs are around.


paws, paws, paws:)

1 comment:

  1. famous duncan!! i heard he was adopted! congrats on another success story!

    ReplyDelete