Saturday, October 22, 2011

Over the hump!

Getting a new foster dog is doubly stressful for me now that I have a dog of my own!  But I think there is a three day hump for most dogs, seems like it takes about that long for them to relax and their real personality to show itself, takes about that long for me to relax as well and feel like I don't have to be monitering them at all times... around day three you can usually tell if they are house trained, how friendly they are, if they are truly anxious and all that stuff, and having Pasha (and of course my cat) adds the extra element of watching the two dogs reeeeallly closely to make sure no one gets hurt or bullied.  So here we are on day 5 and I couldn't be happier with how things are going:) Duncan is much mellower than I originally thought, he and Pasha are getting friendlier and she is acting less territorial and actually wanting to play with him, he's doing well at the dog run with the people and the dogs and has really calmed down about the cat AND the birds!  He's seems to be a really well adjusted dog with really nice manners and should adjust fairly quickly to his new forever family when they come along.

Up here in Washington Heights we are super lucky to have what I believe is the largest dog run in Manhattan, and even luckier to have really friendly dogs and neighbors who are almost uniformly dog savvy and pro rescue pups!  As you can imagine this really helps the foster dogs up here (and there are a few) with the regulars being more than happy to love up the new guys and give advice.


video of this morning at the dog run.  

It seems that about an hour of off leash time and running around keeps him pretty content for the day.  He also may make a decent jogging buddy, I ran down the block with them the other day on a walk and he seemed into it, Pasha on the other hand tries to play tug with the leash so that doesn't really work out;)
When I see him starting to get a little restless/anxious (usually dragging the bed around and chewing on it) I take out the tug toy and they can go at it for a few minutes to let off some steam!

you're getting sleepy....

sleeeeepy...

sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeepy....

After all that dog run fun everyone was pooped and we had a group nap on the couch, he's a serious cuddle-bunny and he and Pasha look so comfy all squished up together!



I love the happy circles:) and he walks right into his halter when you put it on!

for more info on Duncan you can email me at aprilkelly4377@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. April, I want to thank you once again for fostering for us. You are just an amazing woman and a Bodi Satva to the animals. Love Laurie

    ReplyDelete