Thursday, January 13, 2011

Bigfoot!!!

Sphinx the puppy has been with me for 3 days and my best description of his personality is a cross between Marmaduke and Gilligan from "Gilligan's Island", clumsy and sweet and not yet getting everything right...  I love the "little" guy, he's super snugglie and he loves everybody and every critter!

Notes on Sphinx:

1.  You just won't find a sweeter dog!  he's all wiggling good nature!  not a mean bone in his giant body.

2. Super friendly with other dogs, also super friendly/too excited with cats.  He LOVES my cat but has not yet learned her subtle social cues (hissing swatting), he's excited to see her but doesn't know how big he is, when he is calm she does come and sit on the same couch/sleep on the same bed.  She's not afraid just teaching him boundaries, in a few days I'm thinking they won't have to be in separate rooms when I'm out!  He loved to snuggle Lauries kitty which we have photo evidence of in the last post!

3. Loves to play fetch and ball, I gave him a big stick and he proudly carried it all the way home ;)

4. Great off leash, stays in orbit, comes when called, most of his exercise with me has been at the dog run!

5.  Not food aggressive at all, and will reluctantly give up his bone (he'll sometimes make a grab to get it back but it's more playful than aggressive, "hey that's mine!").  I've been giving him cookies when I take his bone away so now he's not quite so worried about it and gives it up more and more easily!

6.  House trained?  I'm not totally sure yet?!  He had 2 accidents in my place so far, and one was my fault.  he was home alone and loose for 5 hours yesterday and he held it, today he'll be home for 8 hours and we'll see how he does (I'm not sure he's had to hold it for that long yet in the other places he's stayed, I put down newspaper in the bathroom.).  I can say that he usually pees right away when he goes outside so he IS trying to hold it!  He had no accidents at Laurie's and was taken out every 4 hours with the rest of the dogs.

7.  Quiet in the house, I don't think I've ever heard him bark inside?  We've been practicing with the crate while I'm home and he does whine a little for a bit, nothing ear splitting just pathetic little whimpers, usually ended with a few firm "NO"s.  He likes the crate and is happy to hang out in there with his bones he's just happier with option to come and go!  also heard a few little growls when he heard something he didn't like outside the apartment, will probably be a good watchdog!

8.  Training?  not overly trained yet, knows sit, comes when called, stay is a little shaky but he's getting there.  Trying to teach him "up" so he's allowed to jump up sometimes.  He's eager to please and very food/affection motivated so training shouldn't be tough at all!

What needs a little work:

1. Pulling on the leash!  He's strong and I'm not very big so I have a little trouble walking him!  If you are really consistent with him (turning around and walking the other way when he pulls, praising him when he stays close etc... calling him back to you when he gets too far ahead ect...).  This will take some time and consistency but when you keep on him he does get it!  There, his worst flaw is out of the way!  and it's not even that bad, he pulls but at least isn't a crazy maniac!

This Ian Dunbar podcast is what I've been trying to implement to correct the leash pulling.
http://www.dogstardaily.com/radio/109-pulling-leash

2. Jumping!  I'm 5' and when he jumps on me we're face to face!  When I'm in the kitchen and I look to the right there are 2 big feet on the counter and a doggie face asking what he can do to help??  He's a big dog and he wants to be up where the people are, say hi face to face!  It's actually very cute so I'm trying to teach him to do it only on request, and of course to learn down as well, sometimes you want a doggie hug but strangers my not want a surprise face to face doggie encounter!

3. Those BIG OLD FEET!  There is no doubt in my mind that he is part boxer, those feet are constantly in play!  He uses them to get your attention, to get the cats attention, playing with other dogs!  These weapons need to be channeled into many great tricks!  I have already gotten swatted in the face quite a few times and it's time he put those feet to more appropriate good use!

4.  He's a little mouthy!  He uses his mouth to get your attention and some while playing!  Grabs a glove, a sleeve, your hand... If you give a convincing enough "puppy yip" you will see the most horrified and apologetic face ever and there will be lots of kisses to make it up to you!  This should be easy to get rid of!

That's all I know so far, the good is very very good and the bad is pretty minor and totally fixable, a small price of admission to pay for a great puppy who will no doubt turn into an excellent dog!

No comments:

Post a Comment