Monday, April 25, 2011

The Snickers report

We tell no lies here on Fosteroni so here is the good the bad and the ugly on my little buddy Snickers.  I love him to pieces but he's not perfect (yet!).

Bad news first? yeah, let's get it out of the way.

1. Snickers is very protective of his home.  My friend Tracey came over yesterday, who he had met last weekend (she was petting him and everything) but not at his house and he totally barked, growled, and was snappy at her for the first 15 minutes she was here, after that he was mostly cool.  I did my best to correct this behavior, he was told no and bad dog and she was given treats to give him when he was being good etc... Tracey was not intimidated and told him to "quit it" which did discourage him and she was able to pet him at points.  I feel like this is a problem that would be helped by repeated exposure to visitors (I haven't had a ton of people over since he's been with me), lots of treat bearing visitors and being mindful of not backing him up when he acts this way i.e. not picking him up and coddling him, telling him NO etc... he's not nasty he's just a scaredy cat, if everybody ignores his growling and gives him treats when he behaves this may be phased out pretty easily.  He also came with me to Audrey's house the other night (my friends are my foster dog guinea pigs, thanks you guys!) and she gave him a bunch of treats to butter him up and was able to pet him and he even snuggled up next to her, but every once in awhile he would growl and snapped at her at one point.  Because everyone pulls their hands aways when he snaps (as they should!) I can't tell if he would bite for reals or if it would be the thing he does to dogs where he bites near them without making actual contact?  either way it's off putting and needs to be worked on obviously.

2. People outside?  different story, he's pretty much indifferent to everyone outside, ignores strangers totally if he can.  If they try to pet him it's 50/50, some people he doesn't mind, doesn't love it but doesn't mind, other people he will growl at a little.  Dogs same thing, he'll ignore them if he can, if he can't he'll growl a little and snap near them without making actual contact.

3.  While I now consider him housebroken and trust him as far as my place is concerned he did pee at my friend Audrey's the other night, he was marking, he had been outside only an hour or two before.  He peed inside about 3 times at my place during the first couple days and after that I think he realized this was his place too and has been good ever since.  I've never really spent a lot of time with male dogs so I'm not sure what this is all about, if I take him visiting in the future I'll be keeping him on a leash so I can correct him if he goes to lift his leg.

4.  Due to his general salty behavior and small size we will not consider adopting him to a household with children.

That's the worst of it, not unusual Chihuahua behavior, certainly not the worst I've seen!

Now for how awesome he is!  and he really is pretty great!

1.  Anyone who has read the earlier posts knows I love me some Snickers!  He didn't make a great first impression with me either (grrrrr), but after day 3 or 4 I was his one and only and I have been the happy recipient of that concentrated Chihuahua affection.  He is a lovebug, totally cuddlesome and loyal to those he loves and trusts.  I can do just about anything to him and he will not bite me.

2.  Easy to care for, he walks well on a leash, isn't food aggressive, good in the car, doesn't eat much.

3.  For a Chihuahua he is surprisingly quiet!  if there is something going on in the hallway he may bark, or something extra crazy outside he'll go off but is easily quieted down when you tell him no and quiet.
Yeah, I thought I was in for some serious yappies fostering a Chihuahua but was pleasantly surprised.

4.  He's really pretty good with other animals, at my house he lives with Josie the cat and Pasha the dog and there really haven't been any major problems.  He used to be growly with Pasha but now they are like siblings who annoy each other occasionally and have little squabbles, I totally trust them together and they both seem to enjoy the company.  He has gone after the cat once or twice, she'll just turn around and swat him and that's the end of it, usually they just ignore each other, they have been left alone in the same space together without incident and have even come close to snuggling once or twice.  I think he'd do great living with other animals, he doesn't whine when I go out and I think that has a lot to do with having a friend to stay with.


see:) look how sweet.

5.  As I mentioned above I do consider him house trained now, but I'm sure he will mark a new house though so be prepared for that.  I kept him confined for awhile when he first got here, he was in the bathroom when I wasn't home and kept close to me or at least in the same room when I was home, when I caught him lifting his leg I was there to scold him.  

6.  He's a good sport! he loves going for regular walks and even better loves joining Pasha and I on hikes, he is getting very bold in the woods and is becoming quite the mini athlete, he will run right through streams and jump off rocks and everything.  He's not just a lap dog, he won't be happy hanging out on a pink pillow!

7.  He really excels at snuggling and affection, he will make somebody a very lovable little companion. Loves sleeping under the covers at night, I have named this maneuver "Hot Pockets", he's my little heating pad:)  Also very sweet is when he gets into one of his spontaneous smoochie moods, he will look at you and then charge over and lick your whole chin with his tiny little tongue, he is very earnest about it so I let him do it for a bit even though I don't love doggie kisses.


Hot Pockets
did I mention he snores?? loudly, like an old fat man.


leave me alone I'm sleeping.

I do my best to give you the most honest information on my foster dogs and their behavior/problems.  I want them to go to the most appropriate/prepared homes possible and to be adopted ONCE with no unpleasant surprises for their new families (none that I knew about anyway), some dogs are super well adjusted and could go almost anywhere but some need a little extra work and Snickers is one of them.  But that's the worst of it for the little guy, needs a little work on his social skills is all and pay attention to the house marking in the beginning and when visiting.  He's such a sweetie that I think he's definitely worth the effort!

-April  

No comments:

Post a Comment